Items on order list: 0
Total: R0
Browse books
Browse Exploration And Travel #9782/1

Paterson (Lieutenant William)


Illustrated with a map and seventeen copper-plates

Published: London, 1789

Stock Number: #9782/1

Price: R25,000


Add to order list Ask a question

vi, [ix]-xii, 171 pages followed by iii index, (i) errata and directions of placing of the plates, 17 engraved plates (14 of botanical subjects, 1 of a Camelopardalis (Giraffe) and two of Bushmen habitations and Hottentots), folding map at the end, half brown calf with red title label on the spine, marbled paper sides. The plate at page 50 is creased and torn at the bottom corner, otherwise the contents and plates are in good condition, the page edges are uncut giving wide margins. A very good copy. First edition

Paterson, William (1755-1810) traveller and lieutenant-governor of New South Wales, was born on 17 Aug. 1755. He entered the army at an early age, but not before he had developed a strong liking for natural history, especially botany. The interest and patronage of Lady Strathmore enabled him to gratify these tastes, and before entering upon active service he had made a series of exploring expeditions in the Hottentot country. He left England early in 1777, arrived at Capetown in May, and on 16 Oct., in company with Captain Gordon, made his first expedition, returning to Cape Town on 13 Jan. 1778. His second expedition lasted from May to 20 Nov. 1778. His third was into the district which he called Caffraria, and claimed as hitherto unknown, and it lasted from 23 Dec. 1778 to 23 March 1779. His fourth journey occupied him from 18 June to 21 Dec. the same year. He made several fresh contributions to science, and is credited with having brought to England the first giraffe-skin ever seen there. The French traveller Le Vaillant several times refers to his researches in high termPaterson published A Narrative of Four Journeys into the Country of the Hottentots and Caffraria in the years 1777- 1789, 4to. A second edition and a French translation appeared in 1790. His botanical collections are in the Natural History Museum at South Kensington